Casablanca - one of the most popular films of all time- marked its 75th anniversary this winter, and a hearty group of DVCMG members gathered on February 11, 2018, to observe this classic – albeit a non-automotive one. The Movie Tavern in Flourtown featured this well-loved film as part of their Sunday Flashback Cinema series. For most of us, it was a first to see this memorable film on the big screen. Susie and Graham Gill hosted the event, followed by a gathering at their home a few miles away in Erdenheim. It was a great way to spend a Sunday in the middle of a cold and snowy winter when we could talk about our MGs but we had to leave them in the garage. In attendance were Diane and Jim Sanders, Pat and Patty Cawthorne, Sandy and Dick Suffredini, Garth and Susan Gill, Eva and Adam Ilnicki, Tom and Jaimee Rippert, and Brian Gumpert.
So, what’s your favorite Casablanca quote?
- "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she drives her TD into mine."
- "We'll always have Pennypacker Mills."
- "Round up the usual suspects." (I think this means Tommy and Suff, but I could be wrong.)
- “Are you sure this club is honest?” “…Honest as the day is long!“
- "I’m no good at being noble, but it doesn’t take much to see that the problems of a little car club don’t amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you’ll understand that.”
- “Here’s looking at your MG, kid.”
-- Susan Q. Gill